Overview: Shelf makes it easy to share interesting and important content with you team. At the same time, you don’t want to overwhelm people with content that isn’t relevant to them, and you certainly don’t want to provide them with access to sensitive information that isn’t appropriate for them to view. That’s why Shelf created and easy-to-use and easy-to-understand permissions system to make sure that your team can access everything they need, and nothing they don’t.
1) Start by selecting the Group that you want to work with. In this example, we are going to manage access to the “For Demo” Group.
2) Right click on the Group name to expose its menu. Select the “Manage Members” option.
3) This screen makes it really easy to understand who has access to the Group. People with access to the Group appear in the “Manage group users” section, while other people with access to your Shelf (but haven’t been invited to the Group) appear in the “Add users to group” section.
4) Adding new people to the Group is as easy as selecting them from “Add users to group” section by clicking on them and clicking on the “Add User to Group” button. In this example, we are going to add “Glenda Robins” to the “For Demo” group.
5) Once they’re added, they will immediately appear in the “Manage group users” section.
6) Now that they’re part of the Group, you can change their permissions level for that group. By default, their system permission will be applied by default, but their access control can be adjusted on a Group by Group basis. For more information about the Shelf permission types, click here. In this example, we are going to change Glenda’s permissions from “User” to “Member” in the “For Demo” Group. You’ll receive a success message in the upper right hand corner of the app when this change has been applied.
7) Removing a person’s access to a Group is just as easy as adding someone. Simply click on their name and click on the “Remove User From Group” button.
8) Group access is updated immediately.
9) It’s important to note that no one is able to downgrade an Admin’s permission level.
10) If you attempt to do so, you’ll receive an alert.
11) If you happen to be an Admin of your Shelf instance, you have another way to manage Group access. Access the “Admin Page” by clicking on the Menu icon in the upper right hand corner of the app.
12) Once on the Admin Page, click on the “Manage Groups” option.
13) On this page you’ll see a comprehensive list of all Groups within your instance. Highlight the Group that you’re interesting in viewing….
14) And click on “Manage Users”.
15) From here you’ll be able to access the same Manage Members page. Please refer to Steps 3-10 above to details on how to adjust the makeup of the Group.